Airbnb cleaning is an essential task that ensures your guests have a comfortable and hygienic stay. However, cleaning a rental property can be a daunting task, especially for property managers who are just starting out. A well-organized and comprehensive cleaning checklist can help hosts efficiently clean and prepare each property for their next guests.
In this blog, we will discuss the importance of having an Airbnb cleaning checklist and how it can help property managers ensure that their rental property is thoroughly cleaned and maintained between guests. We will also provide a detailed Airbnb cleaning checklist that hosts can use as a guide when cleaning their rental property.
Our checklist covers everything from general cleaning tasks to specific items that are often overlooked, such as checking the smoke detectors and changing the air filters. We will also provide tips and best practices for cleaning different areas of the property, including the kitchen, bathrooms, and bedrooms.
Whether you are a seasoned property manager or just starting out, our Airbnb cleaning checklist can help you maintain a clean and welcoming rental property for your guests.
Keeping a clean and tidy bathroom is crucial in any Airbnb property, as it is one of the most frequently used spaces by guests. Therefore, it is important to have a complete bathroom cleaning checklist to ensure that the area is always hygienic and ready for the next guest. Here is a comprehensive bathroom checklist for your Airbnb properties:
1. Decluttering the bathroom: remove any items that are not essential, like old towels or toiletries that may be left behind by previous guests.
2. Bathroom surfaces: Clear all countertops, shelves, and sinks of any debris or clutter.
3. Toilet Cleaning: Clean the toilet with a toilet brush and disinfectant cleaner. Be sure to clean under the seat and the surrounding areas as well.
4. Sink and Other Areas: Clean the sink, faucet, and surrounding area with a disinfectant cleaner. Don't forget to clean the drain and any other accessories.
5. Shower & Bathtub: Clean the shower and bathtub with a mildew remover and scrub with a brush. Don't forget to clean the showerhead and faucets as well.
6. Mirrors & Glasses: Clean the mirrors and any glass surfaces in the bathroom with a glass cleaner.
7. Floor: Sweep and mop the bathroom floor with a disinfectant cleaner.
8. Shower Curtains: Change the shower curtain liner and wash the bathmats and towels.
9. Other Amenities: Check that all amenities are stocked, such as toilet paper, tissues, soap, and shampoo.
10. Repair Requirement: Check for any repairs that may be needed, such as a leaky faucet or a clogged drain.
A clean and well-maintained bedroom can greatly impact the guest experience, leading to positive reviews and repeat bookings. So, keep those beds clean! Here is a checklist for bedroom cleaning for your Airbnb property:
1. Linens & Beddings: Remove all linens and bedding, including sheets, pillowcases, duvet covers, and mattress protectors. Wash them in hot water with detergent and bleach.
2. Dusting: Dust all surfaces in the bedroom, including the furniture, lamps, and blinds.
3. Disinfect the area: Wipe down all surfaces with a disinfectant cleaner, including the nightstands, dressers, and headboard.
4. Clean Under the Bed: Vacuum or sweep the floors thoroughly, including under the bed and any rugs.
5. Windows & Mirrors: Clean the windows and mirrors in the bedroom with a glass cleaner.
6. Closet: Check the closet for any clutter or leftover items from previous guests. Ensure that there are enough hangers for guests to use.
7. Pillows & Mattresses: Check the mattress and pillows for any stains, odors, or signs of bed bugs. If necessary, hire a professional to clean or replace them.
8. Bedside Tables: Check the bedside tables for any personal belongings left by previous guests. Place them in a designated lost-and-found area.
9. Electronics & Lighting: Check the light fixtures and bulbs to ensure that they are working properly. Replace any burnt-out bulbs.
10. Smoke Detectors: Check the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector to ensure that they are functioning properly.
11. Fresh Linens: Place fresh linens and bedding on the bed, including sheets, pillowcases, duvet covers, and mattress protectors.
As a rental property manager, curb-appeal is one of your greatest assets, as the property exterior is not only the first impression arriving guests have of the property, but they may also spend time outdoors by a pool or grilling area. Here is a detailed Airbnb exterior checklist that will help you keep your property looking its best:
1. General Cleaning: Start by sweeping or power washing any walkways, driveways, and patios to remove any debris, dirt, or stains.
2. Trash: Check for any trash or debris around the exterior area, such as cigarette butts or food packaging, and dispose of them properly.
3. Trim Bushes: Trim any overgrown bushes or trees and remove any dead plants or foliage.
4. Lawn Furniture: Sweep or power wash any outdoor furniture, including tables, chairs, and lounges, to remove any dust, dirt, or debris. Don't forget about the patio furniture.
5. Cushions: Check the condition of any outdoor cushions or pillows and replace them if they're stained or damaged.
6. Outdoor Cooking: Wipe down any outdoor cooking equipment, such as grills or smokers, and make sure they're in good working order. With this you can also avail the outdoor eating areas.
7. Electricity & Lights: Check the condition of any outdoor lighting fixtures and replace any burnt-out bulbs.
8. Décor: Inspect any outdoor decor, such as statues or fountains, and make sure they're clean and well-maintained.
9. Check For Damages: Check for any signs of wear or damage to the exterior of the property, such as chipped paint or damaged siding, and arrange for repairs as needed.
Ensuring that your Airbnb kitchen is clean and well-maintained is essential to the overall guest experience. After all, the kitchen represents one of the key selling points for short term vacation rentals, which is the ability for the guest to self-cater. Here is a checklist that you can follow to keep your rental property's kitchen in top shape.
1. Keep the Refrigerator clean: Start by removing all the food items from the fridge and freezer. Check the expiry date of each item and discard any that are expired. Wipe down the interior of the fridge and freezer with a mild cleaning solution.
2. Clean the Countertops: Use a disinfectant cleaner to wipe down all the countertops, including the backsplash, sink, and faucet. Remove any stains or spills and ensure that the surface is free from crumbs and debris.
3. Scrub the Sink: The sink is one of the most used areas of the kitchen. Therefore, it is crucial to clean it thoroughly. Use a scrub brush and a cleaning solution to clean the sink and drain. Be sure to rinse the sink thoroughly after cleaning.
4. Clean the Oven and Stove: Use a degreaser to clean the oven and stove. Wipe down the burners, knobs, and grates with a damp cloth. Use a scraper to remove any stubborn food stains from the oven.
5. Clean the Microwave: Use a cleaning solution to wipe down the microwave inside and out. Remove any food stains or spills and ensure that the turntable is clean. Check for leftover food as well.
6. Wash the Dishes: Run all dishes, glasses, and all the utensils through the dishwasher, or hand-wash them with soap and water.
7. Mop the Floor: Finally, use a mop and cleaning solution to clean the kitchen floor. Ensure that you get into all the corners and crevices.
By following this Airbnb kitchen cleaning checklist, you can ensure that your rental property has a clean and well furnished kitchen, and it is ready for the arriving guest.
The laundry room is an often-overlooked area that needs regular cleaning and maintenance. Here is an Airbnb laundry room cleaning checklist that you can follow to keep your rental property's laundry room ready for action.
1. Sweep and Mop the Floor: Begin by sweeping the floor to remove any loose dirt and debris. Once you've swept the floor, use a mop and cleaning solution to clean the entire area.
2. Clean the Washer and Dryer: Use a cleaning solution to wipe down the exterior of the washer and dryer. Be sure to clean the lint filter on the dryer to prevent a fire hazard.
3. Clean the Sink and Countertops: Use a disinfectant cleaner to wipe down all the countertops and sink. Remove any stains or spills and ensure that the surface is free from crumbs and debris.
4. Organize Cleaning Supplies: Keep all your cleaning supplies in a designated area. Make sure they are stored in a dry and cool place and are easily accessible.
5. Check Appliances for Damage: Regularly inspect all appliances in the utility room for any signs of damage or wear and tear. Repair or replace any damaged items to prevent further damage.
6. Remove Unwanted Items: Remove any unwanted or broken items from the utility room. This includes old or expired cleaning supplies, broken tools, or other items that are no longer needed.
7. Disinfect Surfaces: Use a disinfectant spray or wipe to disinfect surfaces, such as door handles, light switches, and the washing machine's control panel.
The living/family room is a key area that needs regular cleaning and maintenance. Here is an Airbnb living/family room cleaning checklist that you can follow.
1. Dust Surfaces: Use a microfiber cloth to dust all surfaces, including coffee tables, side tables, shelves, and any other surfaces in the living/family room.
2. Vacuum and Sweep Floors: Use a vacuum cleaner to clean the carpeted areas and a broom to sweep the hardwood or tile floors. Be sure to get into all the corners and edges.
3. Clean Upholstery: Use a fabric cleaner to clean any upholstered furniture, such as sofas and chairs. Be sure to remove any stains or spills.
4. Wash Cushion Covers: Remove and wash all cushion covers on the sofas and chairs. This helps to remove any dust and dirt that has accumulated.
5. Clean Mirrors and Glass Surfaces: Use a glass cleaner to clean all mirrors and glass surfaces, such as picture frames or glass doors.
6. Dust and Clean Electronics: Dust and clean all electronics, including the TV, DVD player, and any other electronics in the living/family room.
7. Organize Books and Magazines: Organize all books and magazines in a neat and orderly fashion. Remove any old or outdated materials.
There are several other areas of the house that require regular cleaning and maintenance. Here is an Airbnb checklist that can be used for several miscellaneous areas of the house:
1. Bedrooms: Dust all surfaces, including nightstands, dressers, and lamps. Change all bed linens and pillowcases and vacuum or sweep the floors.
2. Bathrooms: Use a disinfectant cleaner to clean all surfaces, including the sink, toilet, shower, and bathtub. Change all towels and washcloths and replenish toiletries.
3. Outdoor Areas: Sweep or hose down outdoor areas, such as decks or patios, and remove any debris or litter. Clean outdoor furniture and replenish any outdoor supplies, such as sunscreen or bug spray.
4. Entryway: Sweep or vacuum the floors and wipe down any surfaces, such as the front door or entryway table. Ensure that the area is free from clutter and has a welcoming atmosphere.
5. Dining Room: Dust all surfaces, including the table, chairs, and any sideboards or cabinets. Vacuum or sweep the floors and ensure that all dining ware and glassware are clean and ready for use.
6. Hallways and Stairways: Dust all surfaces and vacuum or sweep the floors. Ensure that the area is well-lit and free from clutter.
7. Linen Closet and Storage Areas: Organize all linens and towels and ensure that they are neatly folded and easy to access. Check storage areas for any unwanted items and remove them.
8. Kitchen Appliances: Use a degreaser to clean the oven, stove, and range hood. Wipe down the exterior of the fridge, dishwasher, and microwave. Clean the inside of the microwave and the dishwasher filters.
9. Laundry Room: Clean the lint trap in the dryer and check the washer hoses for any leaks or damage. Wipe down the washing machine and dryer exterior. Organize the laundry baskets and other supplies in a designated area.
The off-season period is a great opportunity for a property manager to tackle deep cleaning and maintenance tasks to prepare for the upcoming busy season. A cleaning checklist for the off-season period should include the following tasks:
1. Deep Clean Carpets and Upholstery: Hire a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner to deep clean all carpets, rugs, and upholstered furniture. This helps to remove any deep-seated dirt, stains, and odors that have accumulated over time.
2. Dust and Clean Vents and Filters: Clean all air vents and filters, including those in the HVAC system, dryer, and kitchen hood. This helps to improve the air quality in the rental property and prevent any potential safety hazards. Dust and debris can accumulate in vents and filters, making them less efficient and causing potential fire hazards.
3. Clean and Organize Storage Areas: Remove any unwanted items from closets, cabinets, and storage areas, and organize them in a neat and orderly fashion. This helps to maximize storage space and create a more inviting atmosphere for guests.
4. Inspect and Repair Property: Conduct a thorough inspection of the rental property, including all appliances, plumbing fixtures, and electrical systems. Repair any damage or issues, such as leaky faucets or loose tiles, to ensure that the property is in top shape for the upcoming guest. It is important to take care of any repairs during the off-season period, as this can prevent potential problems from arising during the busy season.
5. Refresh Linens and Towels: Replace any worn-out or stained linens and towels with fresh, clean ones. Store them in a designated area to keep them clean and ready for use. Guests appreciate fresh, clean linens and towels, and it is important to keep them in good condition to provide a comfortable and enjoyable experience.
6. Deep Clean Bathrooms and Kitchens: Thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces in the bathrooms and kitchens, including sinks, countertops, toilets, showers, and tubs. Use a disinfectant cleaner to kill any germs and bacteria that may be lurking. This helps to provide a clean and hygienic environment for guests.
It's essential to have a professional cleaning service kit on hand to ensure that your rental properties are always clean and ready for the next guests. Here are the key items that a property manager must include in their Airbnb cleaning service kit:
1. Cleaning Supplies: Your Airbnb cleaning service kit should include a variety of cleaning supplies, such as all-purpose cleaners, glass cleaners, floor cleaners, and disinfectants. Ensure that you have enough supplies to clean all areas of the rental property thoroughly. Some other cleaning supplies that you may want to include in your kit are hand soap, sponges, microfiber cloths, and scrub brushes.
2. Trash Bags: Be sure to include plenty of trash bags in your cleaning kit. You should have bags in various sizes to accommodate different trash cans in the rental property. It's also helpful to have some extra bags on hand in case guests generate more trash than usual.
3. Paper Towels: Paper towels are versatile and useful for cleaning up spills, wiping down surfaces, and drying hands. Be sure to include plenty of paper towels in your Airbnb cleaning kit.
4. Gloves: It's important to protect your hands when cleaning, especially when using harsh chemicals. Disposable gloves are an essential item to include in your Airbnb cleaning kit.
5. Mop and Bucket: A mop and bucket are essential items for cleaning hard floors in the rental property. Be sure to include a mop and bucket in your Airbnb kit, along with the appropriate cleaning solution for the floor type.
6. Vacuum Cleaner: A high-quality vacuum cleaner is an essential tool for keeping carpets, rugs, and upholstered furniture clean and free of dirt and debris. Be sure to include a vacuum cleaner in your Airbnb cleaning kit, along with extra bags and filters.
7. Air Fresheners: Air fresheners can help to mask any unpleasant odors in the rental property and create a pleasant and inviting atmosphere for guests. Be sure to include air fresheners in your Airbnb cleaning kit, such as sprays, plug-ins, or diffusers.
8. First Aid Kit: Accidents can happen during cleaning, and it's important to have a first aid kit on hand to handle any injuries or emergencies. Be sure to include band-aids, antiseptic ointment, and other basic first aid supplies in your cleaning kit for Airbnb.
9. Guest Amenities: In addition to cleaning supplies, it's also important to provide guest amenities in your Airbnb cleaning kit. These could include toilet paper, tissues, hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. Providing these items helps to ensure that your guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay in your rental property.
By including these essential items in your Airbnb cleaning kit, you can ensure that your rental property is always clean and ready for the next arriving guest. Remember to regularly check and replenish your cleaning supplies and guest amenities to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and guest comfort.
Utilizing a cleaning checklist can provide several benefits for a property manager. Here are some of the benefits of using a comprehensive Airbnb cleaning checklist:
1. Consistency: One of the primary benefits of utilizing an Airbnb cleaning checklist is consistency. By using a checklist, you ensure that each cleaning task is completed thoroughly and consistently each time a guest checks out. This consistency can help maintain a high level of cleanliness and ensure that the rental property is always in top condition for the next arriving guest.
2. Timesaving: A well-organized Airbnb cleaning process checklist can help save time. It helps to ensure that all necessary cleaning tasks are completed in a timely and efficient manner. By following a checklist, you can ensure that each cleaning task is completed quickly, allowing you to focus on other essential tasks.
3. Prevents Overlooking Tasks: An Airbnb cleaning checklist can help prevent tasks from being overlooked. The checklist provides a comprehensive list of all cleaning tasks, ensuring that nothing is missed or forgotten. This is especially important for tasks that are not performed regularly, such as deep cleaning or cleaning hard-to-reach areas.
4. Better Guest Experience: Utilizing an Airbnb cleaning checklist can help ensure that your guests have a better experience. A clean and well-maintained rental property is more inviting and can create a more positive impression on your guests. This can help to generate positive reviews and repeat business.
5. Improved Safety and Health: A comprehensive Airbnb cleaning checklist can help ensure that the rental property is not only clean but also safe and healthy for guests. Regular cleaning and disinfecting can help prevent the spread of germs and reduce the risk of illness. Proper cleaning of appliances and fixtures can also help prevent accidents and improve safety.
6. Cost-Effective: Utilizing an Airbnb cleaning checklist can be cost-effective. By ensuring that your rental property is consistently clean and well-maintained, you can help prevent damage and prolong the life of appliances, fixtures, and furnishings. This can help reduce repair and replacement costs in the long run.
7. Brand-Building: Make your amazing housekeeping and maintenance prowess a selling point. The condition of your properties is a direct reflection of your brand, and will either lead to the first complement or first complaint of a guest’s stay. Lean into the quality and consistency of your property care system when writing listing descriptions to show potential guests how important providing a clean and well-maintained property is to you.
Cleaning is a crucial aspect of ensuring that your rental property is ready for guests. However, the cleaning process can be time-consuming and challenging to manage, especially during peak season. Here are some ways to simplify the cleaning process:
1. Create an Airbnb Cleaning Checklist: Creating an Airbnb cleaning checklist can help to streamline the cleaning process by ensuring that all tasks are completed consistently and efficiently. A comprehensive checklist can include tasks such as cleaning bathrooms, changing linens, and restocking supplies.
2. Invest in Cleaning Supplies: Investing in high-quality cleaning supplies can help to simplify the cleaning process by making it more efficient and effective. Consider using multi-purpose cleaners, microfiber cloths, and high-quality vacuum cleaners.
3. Hire Professional Cleaners: Consider hiring professional cleaners to handle the cleaning process. Professional cleaners have the expertise and equipment to clean efficiently and effectively. This can help to free up time for other tasks and reduce the stress associated with managing the cleaning process.
4. Use Technology: Utilize technology to simplify the cleaning process. Consider using a vacation rental management software that includes cleaning checklists and automated reminders for cleaning tasks.
5. Create a Cleaning Schedule: Creating a cleaning schedule can help to simplify the cleaning process by breaking down tasks into manageable portions. A schedule can include daily weekly, and monthly tasks to ensure that the rental property is always clean and well-maintained.
6. Train Your Staff: Properly training your staff on cleaning procedures and expectations can help to simplify the cleaning process by ensuring that everyone understands their responsibilities and the standards that need to be met.
By implementing these strategies, short-term rental property managers can simplify the cleaning process and ensure that their rental property is always clean and ready for guests. Simplifying the cleaning process can help to reduce stress, improve efficiency, and enhance the overall guest experience.
Using a vacation rental software can significantly simplify the cleaning process for property managers without any additional cleaning fee. Here are some ways that a vacation rental software can help:
1. Automated Cleaning Reminders: A vacation rental software can automate the cleaning process by sending reminders to property managers and cleaning staff about upcoming cleaning tasks. This helps to ensure that cleaning tasks are completed on time and efficiently.
2. Centralized Cleaning Checklists: Vacation rental software can provide centralized cleaning checklists that ensure cleaning tasks are completed consistently and efficiently. This can help to simplify the cleaning process and ensure that nothing is missed during cleaning.
3. Streamlined Communication: With a vacation rental software, property managers can communicate with cleaning staff easily and efficiently. This can help to ensure that everyone is on the same page regarding cleaning tasks, expectations, and standards.
4. Improved Cleaning Quality: Vacation rental software can help to improve cleaning quality by providing detailed cleaning checklists, automated reminders, and real-time communication between property managers and cleaning staff. This can help to ensure that cleaning tasks are completed to a high standard, and any issues are addressed promptly.
5. Real-Time Updates: A vacation rental software can provide real-time updates on the status of cleaning tasks, allowing property managers to monitor progress and identify any areas that may require additional attention.
6. Simplified Record Keeping: With a vacation rental software, property managers can keep track of cleaning team records easily. This can help to simplify record keeping, reduce the risk of errors, and improve efficiency.
Utilizing a vacation rental software can be an excellent way for property managers to simplify the cleaning process. The software can provide a comprehensive cleaning checklist, automated reminders for cleaning tasks, and even offer the ability to schedule professional cleaning team services.
By using a vacation rental software, property managers can free up time and resources while ensuring that their rental property is always clean and ready for guests. Additionally, the software can provide valuable insights and analytics on the cleaning process, allowing property managers to optimize their cleaning procedures for maximum efficiency and effectiveness with no extra cleaning fee at all. Overall, using a vacation rental software can be a game-changer for property managers looking to streamline their operations and provide an exceptional guest experience.
CiiRUS vacation rental software is a powerful solution for property managers looking to streamline their operations and increase their profitability. With CiiRUS, property managers can easily manage reservations, automate guest communications, and track important financial data in real-time. It goes without saying that CiiRUS is armed with a complete suite of property care tools to address all of the above needs, and more. The software also offers a range of features that can help property managers save time and reduce workload, including automated check-in and check-out procedures, customizable online booking portals, and integration with popular third-party platforms.
Q. What is an Airbnb cleaning checklist?
An Airbnb cleaning checklist is a comprehensive list of tasks that vacation rental property managers and hosts should complete between guest stays to ensure that the rental property is clean and ready for the next guest. The vacation rental cleaning checklist typically includes all areas of the rental property, including the bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, living room, and common areas.
Some property management software also includes cleaning checklists that can be customized to fit the specific needs of a property. These checklists can be used to ensure that all cleaning tasks are completed consistently and on time. The use of an Airbnb cleaning checklist can help property managers and Airbnb hosts to provide a high-quality vacation rental experience and promote positive reviews from guests.
Q. What are the standards of cleanliness for Airbnb?
Airbnb has established a set of standards of cleanliness that hosts are expected to follow to ensure a clean and comfortable experience for guests. The Airbnb cleaning standards are intended to provide a baseline for hosts to follow, but hosts are also encouraged to go above and beyond these standards to provide the best possible experience for guests.
Here are some of the key standards of cleanliness that Airbnb expects hosts to follow:
1. Clean and Tidy Space
2. Fresh Linens and Towels
3. Bathroom Cleaning
4. Kitchen Cleaning
5. Dusting and Vacuuming
6. Sanitizing High-Touch Surfaces
7. Trash Removal
Q. How often should you deep clean an Airbnb rental property?
The frequency of deep cleaning an Airbnb rental property can depend on several factors, including the number of guests, the length of stay, and the level of use of the rental property. Generally, it is recommended that hosts schedule a deep clean between guest stays periodically throughout the year.
Q. How long should it take to clean Airbnb?
The time it takes to clean an Airbnb rental property can vary depending on several factors, such as the size of the property, the number of rooms, the level of cleanliness, and the scope of the cleaning tasks.
Typically, cleaning an Airbnb rental property between guest stays should take around 2 to 4 hours, depending on the factors mentioned above. This includes tasks like changing and washing linens and towels, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen, vacuuming, and mopping floors, dusting and wiping down surfaces, and sanitizing high-touch areas like doorknobs and light switches.
Stay up to date about new features, events, & industry education